Saturday, October 10, 2009

High School Flashback!

Last night I drove past West Jordan High School. The football lights were on and I had a fun flashback to 1989.............. It was the year my school, Kearns High won the state football championship, and my group of friends and I didn't miss a game. The particular game at West Jordan was fun.

Most of our group didn't have cars yet, so we tried to catch a ride with whoever could get us there. We didn't want to get dropped off by parents, because that would be embarrassing. So we chose that night to get a ride in the White's very large and very old baby blue station wagon. Somehow in our minds that was not as embarrassing, go figure.


The game was fun, we won of course, but after the game was the part I remember the most. We were all very excited, cheering and laughing. We all piled into the car, and because of the size of the car, "all" included soooo many of us. Scott White and about 6 of his friends were all squished into the "way back" because they were the youngest of the group, never mind the fact it was his car too. Most of my friends, over 5 or so were in the back seat, some on laps, with the ones on bottom complaining of bony butts digging into their legs. I got the privilege of riding up front because I was dating the driver (I always went for the guys with the "cool cars" ....lol). That night Steph was sitting next to me in the front, the car was fancy enough to include bench seats. We were singing very loudly "sowing the seeds of love" into our fists, when Greg started revving the engine very loudly over and over again, and jerking the car forward over and over again. I think he knew we were all embarrassed to be seen in the car and was going to make sure everyone in the parking lot noticed us. Steph and I ducked down in the front, but those in the back had no where to move, Greg just waved to everyone still revving and jerking forward.

I can't believe that was 20 years ago. I am still close with most of those friends, I still turn up the song "sowing the seeds of love" really loud and sing into my fist, and I drive a minivan that will most likely haul many crazy teenagers to a game at West Jordan, who themselves will be embarrassed to be seen in that vehicle.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

haha and phew! i was wondering what memory lane you were going to go down:)

Channynba said...

Reminising is a wonderful thing.

Amy said...

Very funny. I can't believe 20 years!

Katherine said...

I love stories like that from back in the day! I can just picture you with your hunky boyfriend driver and everyone piled in the back.

Steph said...

I knew right where you were going when I read the first sentence. Those were some very fun times, however I am a little disturbed that it happened 20 years ago... It seems just like yesterday.